Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Cookies: Molasses Crinkles


Who am I kidding, we make these year round here! That being said, these are probably my husband's favorite cookie (they compete with chocolate chip cookies). This version of the recipe comes from his mother. I actually made these before I met him, with the exception of the step that calls for refrigerating the dough. That step makes a much bigger difference in the texture than I realized, so when I tried to make his favorite cookies using my version of the recipe . . . let's just say that didn't go terribly well for either of us.

This year I think marks the best batch of these yet. I used the paddle attachment for my kitchen aid--I had previously only used the whisk to cream butter and sugar--and I think I got the best batch of dough every. I baked them on parchment paper, another first, and I don't think I'll ever go back.

Without further ado, I present the recipe for Molasses Crinkles:

Ingredients:
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger

For dipping balls of dough: 1/4 cup white sugar, water

Instructions:
1. Mix first four ingredients well.
2. In a separate bowl, sift remaining (dry) ingredients together.
3. Slowly stir/mix ingredients from step 2 with those from step 1.
4. Wrap dough in wax paper or plastic wrap, chill for at least one hour.
5. Remove dough from refrigerator and form small, walnut-sized balls. Roll each ball in white sugar, and place about 3 inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle each cookie with 2-3 drops of water for a crackled surface.
6. Bake each batch of cookies for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies. No change for altitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment